The Dorset Environmental Science Centre generates a diverse array of environmental data designed to characterize the state of Ontario's aquatic ecosystems and investigate the effects that multiple stressors have in affecting their health. We have monitored lakes and streams, many for more than 30 years, across 6 major initiatives:
- An intensively-sampled group of nine watersheds with over 30 years of data on chemistry, physics and biology in both the lake and their catchment streams (Dorset A-lakes).
- An integrated set of sampling sites monitoring fluxes of water and solutes from 20 upland catchments and 6 lakes small enough to study inputs, outputs, and apply mass-balance and modeling approaches (Dorset Streams).
- A regularly sampled (spring/summer/fall) group of lakes that increases the spatial extent of our physical, chemical and biological, monitoring program for over 20 years (Dorset B-lakes).
- Benthic macroinvertebrates and associated environmental variables are collected on ~20 lakes and ~15 streams in the Dorset area once per year (stream benthos=spring / lake crayfish=summer / lake benthos=fall).
- Spatial surveys (typically once per several years) that contribute to larger regional datasets on lake and stream ecosystems, including fish community data from the A-lakes.
- Most recently, we have also been collecting real-time high resolution temperature, oxygen and meteorology data from a remotely-sensed raft (THELMA) on Harp Lake.
Scientist to Contact
|1. A-lakes||Lake Physics/Chemistry||Andrew Paterson|
|Lake Phytoplankton/Chlorophyll||Andrew Paterson|
|Lake Zooplankton||Jim Rusak|
|Atmospheric Chemistry/Physics||Huaxia Yao|
|Catchment Hydrology/Chemistry/Lake Hydrodynamics||Huaxia Yao|
|2. Streams||Stream Chemistry and Hydrology||Huaxia Yao|
|3. B-lakes||Lake Chemistry/Physics/Biology||Andrew Paterson|
|4. Benthos||Lake and Stream Chemistry/Physics/Biology||Jim Rusak|
|5. Survey||Various Lake and Stream Data||Keith Somers|
|6. THELMA||High-frequency limnology/meteorology on Harp Lake||Jim Rusak|
|7. OBBN||Province-wide benthic invertebrate biomonitoring data||Chris Jones|
|8. LPP||Province-wide volunteer total phosphorus and Secchi data||Anna DeSellas|
If you are interested in using any of these datasets, please contact one of the scientists above by filling out our data access request form.