Hydrology and Meteorology Scientist
Areas of Interest/Expertise
- Hydrology, Meteorology
- Analysis and simulation of dynamics in atmosphere-vegetation-watershed-water systems
- Impacts of multiple environmental stressors on water quantity/quality
- Holds adjunct professorship with Nipissing University of Canada, and Chinese Academy of Sciences, China.
- Adjusts the planning and design of hydrology-meteorology monitoring network at DESC.
- Conducts long-term monitoring and study of water quantity and quality of watersheds, streams and lakes.
- Leads on studies of changes in climate, hydrology, chemical mass balance, lake’s hydrodynamics and ice cover.
- Leads or collaborates with colleagues and partners to develop statistical methods and physical models for examining temporal and spatial variations, and impacts on hydrology and ecosystems.
- Works on integrated environmental system management strategies and policies facing multiple stressors.
- Received achievement and research awards in China and Japan.
- Co-authored 60 articles in refereed journals/publications, and more than 55 presentations at conferences and scientific meetings.
- B.Sc. in Civil Engineering, Wuhan University, China
- M.Sc. in Hydrology, Wuhan University
- Ph.D. in Hydrology, Wuhan University
- JSPS Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Tokushima, Japan
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- International Association of Hydrological Sciences (IAHS)
- Yao, Samal, Joehnk, Fang, Bruce, Pierson, Rusak and James (2014): Comparing ice and temperature simulations by four dynamic lake models in Harp Lake: past performance and future predictions. Hydrological Processes (in press).
- Fu, James and Yao (2014): SWAT-CS: Revision and testing of SWAT for Canadian Shield catchments. Journal of Hydrology (in press).
- Hadley, Paterson, Stainsby, Michelutti, Yao, Rusak, Ingram, McConnell and Smol (2014): Climate warming alters thermal stability but not stratification phenology in a small north-temperate lake. Hydrological Processes (pulished online).
- Persaud, Paterson, Ingram, Yao and Dillon (2014): Factors contributing to the formation of an algal scum in a mesotrophic softwater lake in Ontario, Canada. Lake and Reservoir Management (revised under veriew).
- Creed, Spargo, Jones, Buttle, Adams, Beall, Booth, Campbell, Clow, Elder, Green, Grimm, Miniat, Ramlal, Saha, Sebestyen, Spittlehouse, Sterling, Williams, Winkler and Yao (2014): Changing forest water yields in response to climate warming: results from long-term environmental watershed sites across North America. Global Change Biology (submitted).
- Lin, Chen, Chen, and Yao (2013): Improving calibration of two key parameters in Hydrologic Engineering Center hydrologic modelling system, and analysing the influence of initial loss on flood peak flows. Water Science & Technology, Vol. 68, 2718-2724.
- Yao, Rusak, Paterson, Somers, Mackay, Girard, Ingram and McConnell (2013): The interplay of local and regional factors in generating temporal changes in the ice phenology of Dickie Lake, south-central Ontario, Canada. Inland Waters, Vol. 3, 1-14.
- Kerr, Eimers, Creed, Adams, Beall, Burns, Campbell, Christopher, Clair, Courchesne, Duchesne, Fernandez, Houle, Jeffries, Likens, Mitchell, Shanley and Yao (2012): The effects of seasonal drying on sulphate dynamics in streams across southeastern Canada and the northeastern USA. Biogeochemistry, Vol. 111, 393-409.
- Yao, McConnell, James and Fu (2012): Comparing and modifying eight empirical models of snowmelt using data from Harp experimental station in central Ontario. British Journal of Environment & Climate Change, Vol. 2, 259-277.
- Yao, McConnell, Somers, Yan, Watmough and Scheider (2011): Nearshore human interventions reserve patters of decline in lake calcium budgets in central Ontario as demonstrated by mass-balance analyses. Water Resources Research, Vol. 47, W06521.
- Hashino, Yao and Tamura (2010): Micro-droplet flux in forest and its contribution to interception loss of rainfall - theoretical study and field experiment. Journal of Water Resource and Protection, Vol. 2, 872-879.
- Yao (2009): A long-term study of lake evaporation and evaluation of seven estimation methods: results from Dickie Lake, south-central Ontario, Canada. Journal of Water Resource and Protection, Vol. 2, 59-77.
- Yao, Deveau and Scott (2009): Hydrological data for lakes and catchments in Muskoka/Haliburton (1978-2007). Data Report 09/01, Ontario Ministry of Environment, Toronto, Canada.
- Yao, Scott, Guay and Dillon (2009): Hydrological impacts of climate change predicted for an inland lake catchment in Ontario by using monthly water balance analyses. Hydrological Processes, Vol. 23, 2368-2382.
- Eimers, Watmough, Paterson, Dillon, and Yao (2009): Long-term declines in phosphorus export from forested catchments in south central Ontario. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, Vol. 66, 1682-1692.
- Yao, Hashino, Xia, Chen (2009): Runoff reduction by forest growth in Hiji River basin, Japan. Hydrological Sciences Journal, Vol. 54, No. 3, 556-570.
- Yao, Kidd and Hashino (2007): Long-term trend of uranium concentrations in Beaverlodge Lake, Saskatchewan, Canada, under mine decommissioning. Water Quality and sediment Behaviour of the Future: Predictions for the 21st Century (Proc. of Symposium HS2005 at IUGG2007, Perugia, July 2007) (edited by Webb Bruce), IAHS Publ. 314, 137-144.
- Hashino and Yao (2006): Minor changes of water conservation capacity in 50 years of forest growth: analysis with data from the Ananomiya Experimental Forest, Japan. Climate Variability and Change – Hydrological Impacts (Proc. Of the Fifth FRIEND World Conference held at Havana, Cuba, November 2006) (Edited by S. Demuth, A. Gustard, E. Planos, F. Scatena & E. Servat), IAHS Publ. 308, 656-661.
- Yao, Hashino and Yuan (2005): Simulating effects of climate change on evapotranspiration of major crops in China, Regional Hydrological Impacts of Climatic Change – Impacts Assessment and Decision Making (Proceedings of Symposium S6 held during the seventh IAHS Scientific Assembly at Foz do Iquacu, Brazil, April 2005) (Edited by StewartFranks,ThorstenWagener,EvaBøgh,HoshinV.Gupta,LuisBastidas&CarlosNobre&Carlos de Oliveira Galvão), IAHS Publ. 295, 189-197.
- Yao and Creed (2005): Determining spatially distributed annual water balances for ungauged locations on Shikoku Island, Japan: A comparison of two interpolators, Hydrological Sciences Journal, Vol. 50, No. 2, 245-263.
- Hashino, Yao and Yoshida (2002): Studies and evaluations on interception processes during rainfall based on a tank model, Journal of Hydrology, Vol. 255, No. 1-4, 1-11.
- Hashino, Yao and Yoshida (2001): Study on conservation of water quality by forests in Hiji River Watershed, Journal of Japan Ground Water Technology Association, Vol. 43, No. 4, 40-49.
- Yao, Hashino and Kanda (2001): Case studies on water resources reduction caused by extraordinary increase of forest foliage, Proceedings of XXIX IAHR Congress (Theme A), Beijing, September 2001, Tsinghua University Press, 488-493.
- Yao and Hashino (2001): A completely-formed distributed rainfall-runoff model for the catchment scale, Soil-Vegetation-Atmosphere Transfer Schemes and Large-Scale Hydrological Models (Edited by A. J. Dolman, A. J. Hall, M. L. Kavvas, T. Oki & J. W. Pomeroy), IAHS Publication, No.270, 183-190.
- Chen and Yao (2001): Environmental problems and ecological countermeasures for the Honghu Lake in Hubei Province, Journal of Huazhong Normal University, Vol. 35, No. 1.
- Yao and Hashino (2000): Flood prediction along the Hiji River, Shikoku, Japan, by distributed model, Proceedings of Fresh Perspectives on Hydrology and Water Resources in Southeast Asia and the Pacific, Christchurch, New Zealand, 21-24 Nov. 2000, IHP-V Technical Document in Hydrology No. 7, UNESCO Jakarta Office, 287-290.
- Yao and Hashino (2000): Comparison of Thiessen and Spline methods for spatial rainfall analysis, Proceedings of Hydro2000, 3rd International Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium of the Institution of Engineers, Australia, Perth, 20-23 Nov. 2000, Volume 2, 1102-1107.
- Yao and Hashino (2000): A study of spatial distribution of annual water balance items, Advances in Hydro-Science and -Engineering, Volume IV, Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Hydro-Science and -Engineering, Seoul, Korea, 26-29 September 2000, 10 pages in the CD-ROM.
- Yao and Hashino (2000): Analysis of spatial distribution of annual water budget and daily runoff along river network in a basin, Annual Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, JSCE, vol.44, 289-294.
- Yao and Hashino (1999): Spatial analysis and prediction of runoff for ungauged locations in a basin, Proceedings of International symposium on floods and Droughts, Nanjing, China. IHP-V Technical Documents in Hydrology, No. 4, UNESCO, Hohai University Press, 404-413.
- Yao (1999): Testing the role of spatial rainfall distribution in flood formation by using distributed hydrological model, Recent Advances in Hydrology and Water Environmental Sciences, The Press of Wuhan University of Hydraulic and Electric Engineering, Wuhan, China, 124-131.
- Yao and Terakawa (1999): Distributed hydrological model for Fuji River basin, J. of Hydrologic Engineering, ASCE, vol. 4, no. 2, 108-116.
- Hashino, Yao and Yoshida (1999): Separation of rainfall interception and transpiration from annual evapotranspiration in forested watersheds, Annual Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, JSCE, vol. 43, 73-78.
- Chen and Yao (1999): Water resource and its management in Sihu Region, Central China, Resources and Environment in The Yangtze Basin, Vol. 8, No. 3, 256-260.
- Hashino, Yao and Yoshida (1999): Beneficial and unexpected effects of forest on water resources: in the management perspective, Bulletin of Faculty of Engineering, The University of Tokushima, vol. 44, 37-45.
- Yao, Terakawa and Hashino (1998): GIS-based distributed meteo-hydrological model for large scale mountains in Japan, Hydrology, Water Resources and Ecology of Mountain Areas, European Academy Bozen/Bolzano, 271-274.
- Yao, Hashino, Terakawa and Suzuki (1998): Comparison of distributed and lumped hydrological models, Annual Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, JSCE, vol. 42, 163-168.
- Yao, Hashino, Terakawa and Chen (1997): Analyzing water budgets based on groundwater monitoring in an experimental plain farmland, J. of Japan Society of Hydrology and Water Resources, vol. 10, no.6, 607-616.
- Yao, Hashino and Terakawa (1997): Predicting future changes in climate and evaporation by a stepwise regression method, Sustainability of Water Resources under Increasing Uncertainty (edited by Dan Rosbjerg, Nour-Eddine Boutayeb, Alan Gustard, Zbigniew W. Kundzewicz & Peter F. Rasmussen), IAHS Publication No. 240, 339-346.
- Yao, Terakawa and Chen (1996): Rice water use and response to potential climatic changes: calculation and applications to Jianghan, China, Proc. of International Conference on Water Resources & Environment Research (edited by S. Ikebuchi), Kyoto, 611-618.
- Yao, Hashino and Yoshida (1996): Modeling energy and water cycle in a forested headwater basin, Journal of Hydrology, vol.174, 221-234.
- Yao, Hashino and Yoshida (1995): Prediction of future changes in climate and water cycle by using step-wise regression method, J. of Japan Society of Hydrology and Water Resources, vol.8, no.6, 574-582.
- Yao, Hashino and Yoshida (1995): Analyzing effects of climate and forestry management on water yield by using conceptual models, Man's Influence on Freshwater Ecosystems and Water Use (Edited by Geoffrey Petts), IAHS Publ., no.230, 237-244.
- Hashino, Yoshida and Yao (1994): An hourly model for energy and water cycle in forested catchment, Proc. of International Symposium on Forest Hydrology (Tokyo), 165-172.
- Yao, Hashino and Yoshida (1994): Analyzing effects of deforestation and afforestation on streamflow by using a physically-based conceptual model, J. of Japan Society of Hydrology and Water Resources, vol.7, no.3, 196-203.
- Yao, Hashino and Yoshida (1994): A modelling of moisture and heat transfers in SPAC, Proc. Hydraulic Engineering, Japan Society of Civil Engineering, vol.38, 125-130.
- Yao and Qiu (1994): Characteristics of streamflow and sediment in middle and lower Han River, central China, FRIEND: Flow Regimes from International Experimental and Network Data (edited by P. Seuna, A. Gustard, N. W. Arnell & G. A. Cole), IAHS Publ., no.221, 241-246.
- Yao (1993): Characteristics and control of soil erosion in Hubei Province, China, Sediment Problems: Strategies for Monitoring, Prediction and Control (edited by Richard F. Hadley & Takahisa Mizuyama), IAHS Publ., no.217, 23-27.
- Yao (1992): A review of advancements on scale problems of hydrologic process in the interactive land-atmosphere, Earth Sciences: Advances, State-of-Art and Development, Meteorology Press, 372-375.
- Yao (1992): Channel survey and sediment deposition in the Yangtze river, Erosion and Sediment Transport Monitoring Programmes in River Basins (Proceedings of a symposium held at Oslo, Norway, 24-28 August 1992,Edited by J. Bogen, D.E. Walling & T.J. Day), IAHS Publ., no. 210, 148-150.
- Yao (1992): Assessment of environmental management, in Comprehensive Review of Economic-Social Resources of Hubei Province, the Earthquake Press, Beijing, 231-258.
- Cai and Yao (1992): Flood, waterlogging and swamping in middle reaches of Yangtze river and the possible counter-measures, Geo-Hazards and Their Mitigation, Science Press, Beijing, 37-41, 1992
- Yao (1991): A summary of mathematical models of water and energy transfer in soil-plant-atmosphere systems, Journal of Geodesy and Geophysics, China, No.13, 108-114.
- Yao (1991): A mixed vegetation hydrology model, Extended Abstracts of Poster Papers Presented at IAHS Symposia Held During the XX General Assembly of IUGG in Vienna.
- Yao (1991): A study on mixed model of forest hydrology, Journal of Chinese Association of Water and Soil Conservation, vol.5, no.1, 73-79.
- Yao and Yuan (1989): Modelling the forest's hydrological influence, Proc. Workshop on Research in Forest Hydrology in China, Survey and Mapping Press, Beijing, 207-213.
- Yao (1988): Modelling dynamic moisture-temperature states of soil-plant-atmosphere system, Journal of Wuhan University of Hydraulic and Electric Engineering, no.5, 19-26.
- Yao and Yuan (1988): Mathematical modelling of forest's hydrological effects, Journal of Wuhan University of Hydraulic and Electric Engineering, no.1, 27-34.